Mechanical engineers are concerned with the design, development and manufacture of machines and mechanical parts and components. In modern times, good mechanical engineers are trained on a strong foundation of theory, practice and interdisciplinary innovation. Subjects in mechanical engineering overlap with various other engineering branches such as aerospace, architecture, biomedical, civil, chemical, computer, electrical, electronic and communication, industrial, instrumentation, materials, metallurgical, nuclear and petroleum engineering to varying amounts. But mechanical engineers do more than just work in these core engineering sectors. The field has continually evolved and in recent times mechanical engineers have been heavily involved in numerous advanced fields such as acoustics, automatic control, biomedical, chemical processing, combustion, computer-aided design, condition monitoring, environmental control, food processing, renewable and nuclear energy, mechatronics, manufacturing, maritime industry, nanotechnology, power generation, plant layout, process simulation, water desalination, quality control, consultancy and human resource management.
A mechanical engineer should have a strong interest and academic background in mathematics and physical sciences, concern about the quality of life and products, a desire to put ideas into action, curiosity about how things work and how to improve their performance, and good communication skills. Engineering design is the backbone of Alfaisal University's mechanical engineering (ME) program which is reinforced with the fundamental physical sciences, including engineering mathematics, physics, chemistry, materials, applied mechanics, mechanics of materials, structural analysis, fluid mechanics, automatic control, thermodynamics, fluids mechanics, fundamentals of electrical and electronic engineering, manufacturing processes, mechatronics, machine design, engineering management, instrumentation, safety and risk analysis, vibration and damping, computer-aided engineering and several computational techniques. Experimental work is carried out in laboratories and through small projects work at all levels of the program. The program also includes industry and University-based summer research projects at different levels. This is not to say that your mechanical engineering education is over, the main aim of the ME program being to provide graduates with the ability and confidence to continue lifelong education within their chosen profession.
Mechanical engineers have always been in good demand worldwide. In the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the world over, there is a great demand for mechanical engineers. National public and private sector companies like Saudi Aramco, SABIC, Saudi Railways Organisation, KACST, universities in addition to multinational companies such as BAE Systems, Boeing, General Electric, IBM, Microsoft, Google, Schneider, Schlumberger, Siemens, Thales International, and United Technologies, etc., all have constant interest in Mechanical Engineers across all specializations.
A degree in mechanical engineering at Alfaisal University will give you the knowledge and advanced interdisciplinary skills to work in the design, development and manufacture of products in Saudi Arabia and worldwide.
Program Educational Objectives
The Alfaisal University B. Eng. Degree in Mechanical Engineering will produces graduates who are expected to attain the following program educational objectives (not necessarily all of them):
PEO1. Graduates shall be able to perform effectively in professional practice, pursue graduate studies, and/or other professional or educational activities benefitting their society.
PEO2. Graduates shall have developed habits consistent with an attitude of professionalism along with awareness of engineering influence in their community.
Graduates of the Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering program will possess by the time of graduation the following essential engineering skills:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies